Picture of Zoa that was eaten by Nudi's!

swivel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came home this morning and notice that my mini colony of Red Hornets were almost gone. i had about 5 polyps that disappeared and 1 polyp that was half eaten! I am wondering if this is done by nudi's or by my fish. I have a yellow corris wrasse and a fox face. All my other polyps are find just my Red and Blue Hornets look like its been eaten. I dont have a camera so i cant post any pictures. So if any has a picture of a Zoa/paly eaten by Nudi's that would be very helpful.

Pizzapro83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have red hornets. I started with one and had like three. The same thing happen to me. Where did you get yours

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second pic down shows a colony of Zoanthids showing the "sucked in" look they display while being fed upon.

Adult Nudis:
pedrospic2.jpg

pedrospic1.jpg

Nudi Egg Sack:
nudi_eggs.jpg

The adult nudis take on the color of the zoanthid they're eating, which camouflages them very well. IME the babies are a light brown color.

To check on the foxface behavior, turn all lights off outside the aquarium, leave aquarium lights on, and sit far away without moving or just peek your head around the corner and view the tank. Fish are like little kids... when we're not around they cause trouble ;)

OP
OP
S

swivel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my Red Hornet from Neptunes in San Jose! Thanks for the pics stunreefer! Those are awesome for reference. Good news is that my tank does not have nudi's bad thing i lost most of my Red Hornets due to my Fox Face. Good thing i have 1 fragged out and another baby that is still alive! It only went after my Red and Blue, it didnt go after the Purple :/

OP
OP
S

swivel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By any chance will a half eaten zoa recover?

OP
OP
S

swivel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea hes been good for about a month now. It was find yesterday when i was home i was just shocked to see the polyps gone when i got home this morning! I'm going to remove the FoxFace tonight!!!

Reef 5etup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like a foxface got hungry..sorry for your lost!

i know this is off subject but i recently fragged my rh's and my mother colony got super stressed half of each polyps closed some have opened fully but lost half of the skirt has anyone experienced anything like this?

OP
OP
S

swivel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did not happen to me when i fraggred my rh's the mother colony was fine. Opened up within an hour or so.

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had other colonies go downhill immediately after fragging. Lost really hard to get polyps due to that.

puntific

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yellow or green corsis wrasse or sixlines

+ the coris wrasse (I choose green.) I'd been harvesting nudis for several weeks, but never saw one again once I added the wrasse. Maybe I pulled out the last one myself... I could be that good. :bigsmile: Doubters should try the wrasse.

puntific

OP
OP
S

swivel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Just got home from school and checked out my tank. All my hornets are gone. Apparently they must taste very good. All my other zoa/paly are fine, but all my frags with red/purple/blue hornets on them all disappeared!!! I have like 2 red and blue hornets left but they are in bad shape. Should of took the day off from work and school just to protect my hornets >:(

OP
OP
S

swivel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea tell me about it. they were fine this morning!!! only thing i can do is to recollect.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back