Nudi eggs?

Christa50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see those on my hammer coral. It was a cluster. Does seem to be egg strings of some kind of nudibranch? It was right on top of the polyp

IMG_20200119_133136.jpg IMG_20200119_133156.jpg

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed looks like eggs from a nudibranch. Had zoa eating nudi’s laying the same eggs on my zoas :/

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do look like nudi eggs, i have never see euphylia eating nudibranches before but that means little as there are so many species. Can try to dip on a schedule to kill the adults. Maybe culture those eggs collected to get a hatch time. And dip every x days based on that observation.

any cerith snails? Their egg masses can look similar to nudis too.

OP
OP
Christa50

Christa50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do look like nudi eggs, i have never see euphylia eating nudibranches before but that means little as there are so many species. Can try to dip on a schedule to kill the adults. Maybe culture those eggs collected to get a hatch time. And dip every x days based on that observation.

any cerith snails? Their egg masses can look similar to nudis too.
I don't know. I bought some new frags yesterday. My tank is pretty small so I can keep an eye on things. On the other hand, if there is nothing to eat for the nudi’s they will die out. Right?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. I bought some new frags yesterday. My tank is pretty small so I can keep an eye on things. On the other hand, if there is nothing to eat for the nudi’s they will die out. Right?
Yes but they tend to lay on what they eat. Simple minds with simple desires dont usually get the target that wrong.

OP
OP
Christa50

Christa50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but they tend to lay on what they eat. Simple minds with simple desires dont usually get the target that wrong.
Thank you. I sit in front of my tank at least half an hour a day. I will be watching for anything strange. This tank just had a melt down a few weeks ago due to my own stupidity and now it finally healthy again. So I'm a not fond of messing with it right now

OP
OP
Christa50

Christa50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pic of the coral. Being that it was on the euphyllia polyp they almost look like mesenterial filaments.
As a matter of fact I did take this picture right after you asked for it. You can see a new set at the right bottom part of the coral. Please note that this is one of the frags that did survive the tank crash from a view weeks ago. It is not as beautyfull as its used to be

IMG_20200119_141702.jpg

OP
OP
Christa50

Christa50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like mesenterial filaments and ripping them off will hurt the coral. They can be a stress response of some corals. I'm not sure of any nudibranchs that target euphyllia. I'd leave them be.
I think you might be right. After your post I googled mesenterial filament coral. And found this picture on r2r that's exactly it!! Thanks.

181128113738606.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 124 75.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back