Jelly transparent Eggs on my Zoa

Freestyler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
After the expert advice and identification of the Nudibranch from my last post I dipped my Zoa in some distilled water for about 2 mins and sure enough about 5 Nudi's varying in size dropped off. I was then attempting to inspect each polyp for a circle of Nudi eggs but its nearly impossible as they are so tight together. I decided to have a better look today under better lighting and was surprised to find approx 100 or more round transparent blobs all over the rock and not actually on the polyps. I am hoping these are not slug eggs but actually from the Zoa please advise and any action needed.
20170416_184633[1].jpg
20170416_184520[1].jpg

If more pics are required I am happy to snap away?

OP
OP
Freestyler

Freestyler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see them very well, but they're not nudibranch eggs.
Ok I have manned up and took a few nips from the clowns. I never thought they would be so aggressive and very fast.
20170416_214804[1].jpg

This is my only Zoa colony and has been in the tank for about 5 weeks, its the same one I dipped in RODI last night to rid it of the Nudibranches. I only have a pair of Clowns, a Royal Grammar and a White stripe cleaner shrimp. Saying that, the shrimp is fairly new about 2 weeks in but I had thought it had died last week, but it had shed its whole exoskeleton which I found wedged behind the Zoa rock and the main piece.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you scrape off one of them and look at in in a little dish with some water? Do you see any white dots within?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.... they're not nudi eggs and I don't know of a snail that lays single eggs like that. Could it be dying bubble algae, like @Jason mack suggested? Zoas don't ever turn clear like and die off, do they? I see the little cleft/dot you're talking about.... I just don't know...... Hmmm.....

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 184 73.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back