Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2015, 03:36 PM   #1

Tripod Slik 500DX vs 780DX

Hey

I am considering to buy tripod and torn between Slik 500DX and 780DX.
Mainly for landscape and maybe some studio.

780DX is high, so for me being about 6 feet (about 183 cm) tall is good feature. also I prefer viewfinder over live view so high tripod is valued again.
On other hand 780DX is quite heavy carrying it for long trips could be exhausting. I think I can forgot about carrying it for holiday trip on a plane.

500DX is cheaper and also more compact but is also shorter so I think it could be drawback.

Any suggestions Guys?
Maybe somebody has used 500DX or 780DX?

Greets

10-26-2015, 04:41 PM   #2

I prefer the larger of the 2 tripods because of my height. The additional load capacity helps stability a lot.

You might also consider the older model (Slik Pro DX700). It has the same capacity as the 780, is just as solid and is on sale at B&H for $139. The 700 uses the round plates, which many people really like. They make setting up fast and easy, especially in low light.
10-26-2015, 06:11 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whichever you decide on, I would suggest considering purchase of legs only. Unless you really want the 3-way tilt/pan head that is bundled, you will likely find a ballhead with Arca-Swiss QR separately offers better utility.

I own the 330DX which I purchased with bundled head (the same SH-705E unit as on the 500DX). The head is decent, but fairly heavy (about 1lb) for what it is. I put the head on the shelf and replaced it with a higher capacity ballhead at less than half the weight.

In regards to the 700DX vs. 780DX, the main difference is the quality of the bundled pan head. If you are partial to that style of head, the price difference may be worth it.

In either case, I would suggest seeing the tripods in person if you have access to a brick 'n mortar store that stocks Slik. There is so much more than what you can tell from a specification list and and catalog description.

Steve
10-27-2015, 12:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hamiltom Quote
The 700 uses the round plates, which many people really like.
That's exactly the thing that stopped me from buying that tripod. Numerous people complained that the plate rotated under the camera's weight when the head was tilted.

10-28-2015, 12:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
Unfortunately I cannot check that tripods near my home. I found 780DX, 700DX and 500DX at internet store with good bargain price. Read that generally that tripods have good reviews, but bulkiness of 700DX and 780DX deters me from purchase.
Also you wrote that 700DX has round plate issues, o maybe 780DX is better

I considered also tripods Velbon Sherpa series like E5300D series or 5370D (with better minimal height).

Greets
10-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the older Slik 700dx here. It uses the Puk system.
The tripod is very strong, but too heavy to carry far from the trunk of the car..
As for the loose puks comment, I suspect the user did not know that the socket is adjustable.
I have a mix of original puks and some home brew ones.
The mount can easily hold the heaviest MF cameras here , for example the 4x5 Speed and the RB67.
The below photos show, firstly the adjusting mechanism which winds a cam out to grip the puk.
The mount socket is machined out of a cast aluminum block.
The adjustment is by removing a plastic cover and rotating a knurled wheel with a larger screwdriver.

When adjusted properly, I dare say if the camera was forcibly rotated,
the 1/4 inch thread would tear out of the camera long before that puk would move.

I have no hesitation in suspending a heavy camera vertically down, or rotating it up 90 degrees (as shown).
Also the mount has an "emergency" catch so that the camera won't fall if the clamping lever is released accidentally.
Attached Images