Hypsibarbus wetmorei, the golden belly barb, lemon fin barb, or lemon barb

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Obtained from Rapps Jan 2019 at 3". Today after 5 months it is about 7" and a lot taller - as you can see from the below photos, babies are of a different, more regular body shape. An easy fish in all respects so far, similar to a tinfoil barb in behavior and appearance. At this growth rate it should become transferable to the 25,000 gal in a few months once it reaches at least 10".

Look for this fish in the following video:

download.jpg

Other Google images:

1200px-Wetmors_Barbe_(Hypsibarbus_wetmorei)_1.jpgbarb-golden-belly.jpgdownload (1).jpgDSC_7873.jpgHypsibarbus wetmorei 2.jpgHypsibarbus wetmorei.JPGhypsibarbus_wetmorei_3_20140708_1925307760.jpg

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
That is weird. About 4 years ago I bought four tinfoil barbs. One of them though, I couldn't quite put my finger on it, it just seemed a bit different to the other three. Then I saw your picture and bingo, mine looks exactly like it, i'm sure it's one of these lemon barbs. See picture, what do you think?

20190508_165024.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
That is weird. About 4 years ago I bought four tinfoil barbs. One of them though, I couldn't quite put my finger on it, it just seemed a bit different to the other three. Then I saw your picture and bingo, mine looks exactly like it, i'm sure it's one of these lemon barbs. See picture, what do you think?

View attachment 1372240
I am no expert whatsoever on cyprinids but your fish sure doesn't strike me as a tinfoil barb. Here is a photo comparing a
tinfoil barb (Barbonymus schwanenfeldii) and the yellow eyed silver barb (Hypsibarbus pierrei), a different species from the lemon fin but in the same genus of Hypsibarbus:

92659864-tinfoil-barb-barbonymus-schwanenfeldii-and-the-yellow-eyed-silver-barb-hypsibarbus-pi...jpg

As far as telling different species of Hypsibarbus, whether yours is indeed a wetmorei or pierrei or another, I'd probably need to read the latest revision of the genus while I am timeless, motivationless, and lazy... you catch my drift :) I much prefer you do it and teach the gist to me and all of us ;)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
They are great fish. Only care issue I had with the ones I had (about 14” in size) were that they were very sensitive to low oxygen levels. In a power cut, they were the first to suffer, and how I lost a couple.
Do they supplement by breathing air? I saw mine once floating upside down and swimming irratically. Thought "That's it. I am losing it" but it came to in a little while. I didn't know what to ascribe it to - either the tank filled up to the lids leaving no air inside it, or it got spooked and bumped its head, rattled its brain...

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Any updates on this fantastic species viktor? When i picked up my latest it was upside down in the styrofoambox when i came home with it. I chucked it in the pool and behold it swam away like nothing happened. My guess is that it has to be constantly moving around. Or at least that whas mine does. Its never still and always crusing around searching for food. Yours has more to grow from the pics. Mine are almost 2' long and 1' high.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Any updates on this fantastic species viktor? When i picked up my latest it was upside down in the styrofoambox when i came home with it. I chucked it in the pool and behold it swam away like nothing happened. My guess is that it has to be constantly moving around. Or at least that whas mine does. Its never still and always crusing around searching for food. Yours has more to grow from the pics. Mine are almost 2' long and 1' high.
Sweet. You gotta make a thread on yours, especially in view of such a little or non existent reporting on them on MFK and in view of yours having attained such a respectable size.

Our singleton specimen has been moved to the 25K gal carp exhibit a week or two ago. It was about 10" at that moment. It has adjusted quite well from what I can see, which is not a given at all and not easy because of the large mahseers in there who think any new fish in there is their chew toy and a new feed to try.

I have transferred four Julienni barbs with it and a small scale mud carp but had to dive back in the exhibit with a snorkel and a net in each hand and catch the Julienni out as they couldn't cope with the stress of rehoming coupled with mahseer test-tasting pressure. The other two were and have been fine. This will be addressed and described with visuals in other respective threads in due time.

Reactions: Tobiassorensen

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Sweet. You gotta make a thread on yours, especially in view of such a little or non existent reporting on them on MFK and in view of yours having attained such a respectable size.

Our singleton specimen has been moved to the 25K gal carp exhibit a week or two ago. It was about 10" at that moment. It has adjusted quite well from what I can see, which is not a given at all and not easy because of the large mahseers in there who think any new fish in there is their chew toy and a new feed to try.

I have transferred four Julienni barbs with it and a small scale mud carp but had to dive back in the exhibit with a snorkel and a net in each hand and catch the Julienni out as they couldn't cope with the stress of rehoming coupled with mahseer test-tasting pressure. The other two were and have been fine. This will be addressed and described with visuals in other respective threads in due time.
Of course i can do an thread on my lemon barb. But dont think ill contribute with that much since i bought in a large size. It was prob 45-50cm when i got it home. :) as soon as ive got my plywoddtank ready i will make an thread of the inhabitans in that tank.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The moving of the lemon fin barb into the 25k that I had mentioned in the previous post:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The lemon fin turned out to bother beluga sturgeon in the 25K, which was found about half a year or longer ago. So it was moved into a 4500 gal and has been doing quite well in their. Brazen, smart fish. Fortunately, it has a small, smooth mouth, otherwise, it could eat itself to death.

It grew a lot. Approaching 2 ft length now and of course a very tall back.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store