Building a copy stand?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dougmeister, May 15, 2017.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Here are the threads on CT that I found:

https://www.cointalk.com/search/2821103/?q=copy+stand&o=date&c[title_only]=1

I know that at least one member here has built a DIY copy stand by altering the height of the target.

Has anyone else been able to build one?

I see plenty of build-it-yourself options out there and was wondering if anyone here has tried any of them:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Copy-Stand-Cheap-and-easy-to-build/

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19857

http://www.curbly.com/3907-how-to-make-a-diy-camera-stand

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I've made a couple of them. Since the cameras they were going to hold were not as big as DSLRs, the stands didn't have to be as sturdy. The wood was from various scraps I had leftover from other projects. The clamp was purchased on Amazon and was inexpensive.

When shooting coins I put a small blob of stiff silicone putty (like the type used for hand exercises) to hold the coin on the skinny pedestal. It also affords the ability to tilt the coin a bit, something that is often necessary to improve lighting when using a camera that has to be so close to the coin.

CopyStand.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    dlhill132, Paddy54, Curtisimo and 4 others like this.
  4. Dougmeister

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

rigout0912.jpg rig326.jpg I've built several versions and come to the conclusion that wood vibrates less than metal and you can achieve coarse focus either by moving the camera or the coin. Moving the coin can be achieved with a stack of books added or removed as needed or you can make a stand with the same focus rail I originally bought to move the camera. This last option vibrates less since the camera is rock solid when mounted directly to the 2x4 lumber.

I make these things trying to help others but I always go back to my old trusty enlarger frame I used in the 1960's. I don't recommend you run out and buy one like it but, when you already have something as solid as a Durst 606, it seems right to use it. Below is my current rig. I have explained it here before but will be happy to answer questions via Private Conversations if anyone is interested.
    rigcombo900.jpg

RAGNAROK, iPen, imrich and 1 other person like this.
  7. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I've built and modified several from a 24" X,Y,Z,THETA Fully Adjustable, Lockable to a compact microscope capable of full slab imaging.

An inexpensive full-slab microscope can be had by acquiring a Mustcam HDMI 10-220 Digital Microscope, and replacing the vertical adjustment column with a 13" tube, using an alternate light source, such as a fully adjustable fluorescent table lamp. It should allow full slab to minute detail .jpg images.

JMHO

8. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Wow, this is what I need to do next to improve my photography!

Is there a better way to prop up the coin without the use of silicone putty?

It seems a bit precariously positioned without the putty.

Is the putty inert to the coin?

From my personal experience with silicone watch straps, silicone gathers dust and such - can the putty be cleaned off with a rinse? I'd hate to have it accumulate dust or transfer particles from one coin to the next, especially on proofs!

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My most recent favorite coin prop started life as a plastic ball point pen with a soft grip. I threw away the refill, spring and top half. I pulled the soft 'rubber' over the end of the pen and slid the modified assembly over a 1/4" steel rod mounted upright in a wood base. I have no idea if this is modifiable for proofs since I only collect ancients which do not have such issues with being touched. I do have a variety of sizes of supports as shown on the right inset of my previous image. For the larger coins you could hot melt glue a craft foam disk to the top of a syringe plunger (came with baby Tylenol years ago and we save everything) but I usually just use the plunger itself for coins over nickel size. Not collecting coins you can't touch makes this a lot easier. Most of my coins are 5 to 30mm diameter so the three sizes shown work.

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I don't have any photos handy, but after stupidly selling my copy stand with the rest of my film equipment years prior and not wishing to buy another, I built one using square aluminum "tubing" from the hardware store, a mounting bracket type things intended for porch railings, a few pieces of hard oak, and an old tripod head. It's fully adjustable and easily capable of supporting an APS-C DSLR or full frame mirrorless camera with lens. I haven't used it in some time, but still have it though.

Being as I had something to use as a heavy/secure base, the wood, and old tripod head, I don't think it cost even $20 to build, and was mostly due to the aluminum tubing iirc. When time allows I can try to dig it out and/or provide further details if it would help.

11. Dougmeister

@BooksB4Coins, thank you for the kind offer. Don't go out of your way, but any details on the components and/or photos would be appreciated.

I like the ease of building @TIF's version, but I like the adjustment mechanism of @dougsmit's 2nd contraption (where the camera is fixed and the sliding rail moves the platform/coin).

But I'm open to more suggestions! This is great!

12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I remembered that I sent a photo of it to a friend a number of years ago and was able to search out the email to retrieve it. It's not the most detailed photo, nor does it explain everything, but should give you a better idea of what I earlier tried to describe.

IMG_0384.JPG

13. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

You guys have no idea how timely this thread is for me! I've been thinking of making the move from my old lighting setup for a few weeks now and being equipped with the knowledge of building your own instead of paying a ridiculous amount of money for a copy stand is great.

Question part 2 :)
    What light bulbs are you all using? Wattage & color tone can make all the difference in the world!

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Heck. I just use a bloody tripod.........

15. Dickinak

Dickinak New Member

I use my iPhone and a plastic egg or storage crate as a copy stand and it works well. The trick is to get a crate with perfectly parallel sides. The iPhone will focus close enough and has high enough resolution for photographing most coins. Here is the crate that I use:
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41USAiI9q6L.jpg

I turn the crate on its side and I put the iPhone on the top of the crate with the coin on a stack of books inside the crate. I have a couple of LED flashlights that put out nice even light that I use as lamps.

green18 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted