Moon lights and acclimation time for Buttons and Ricordea Yumas!?!

artemk

Hi,
I just got two corals, one fragment of Palythoa Buttons and Ricordea Yuma Mushroom corals. I was wondering how long I should acclimate them for? Ive been drip acclimating them from 8pm, and now its 9:20. Should I do more?
Also, do these need a moon light at all times of the day/night to be on? Or can I continue my light schedule of about 8 hours on a day. I have 2 T5HO 54W bulbs currently. I just got 2 more T5 regular 28W, but haven't set them up yet.
Thanks for your help!

geoj

For the growth of the corals 8hrs a day will work when you have all the bulbs on. As for the moon lights it will help show the florescence of the corals and I would run them one or two hours before the main lights start, till one or two hours after the main go off.
What is the k rating and or nanometers of the bulbs you have?

artemk

Currently I have an Aquatic Life 4 ft T5HO lamp. 1 bulb is White, 10,000K 54W, and the other one is 54W Actinic/Blue. I also have a Marinelife 24'' light from my QT that has 9 small LED bulbs, 6 are white, and 3 are moonlight blue that I put onto of my tank for now, just so that I can keep some blue light after my T5's shut off.
Since I got the corals in the tank at about 9:30 tonight, is it okay for me to turn off my main lights at 11:30, or is that too soon?

artemk

My Yuma has tipped over?!?! Is it just walking around until it finds a good spot or what? lol
Heres some Pictures of it:

artemk

Yes, its on a small piece of live rock. It might have been in a spot with too much flow, so I moved it last night, and checked it this morning. Its in the same spot, so I hope it likes it where it is for now. From what I've read about their photo acclimation, I placed it under a shaded part of my tank, so that it gets well acclimated, and will move it in about a month to a place with a little bit more light. I heard these take a while to get photo acclimated.

geoj

If it stands up and looks like a mushroom it is reaching for light. I would then move it to a brighter spot along the bottom.
Reaching for light

Not reaching for light

artemk

My zoo buttons still haven't all opened up. Maybe like 85-90% of them are open and hanging out, but the rest are still closed. How long does it usually take for them to fully open up??

geoj

They will do that if something is irritating the Zoa. Look for Zoanthid eating Nudibranchs, Sun Dial Snails after the lights have been off for a few hours.

artemk

Last night after the light went out, i saw a Zoa eating nudi on my colony. Quickly took out the zoas and sucked the damn pest with a syringe and got him out of my tank. I just hope there aren't more of them on there, which probable there are. What should I do if there are???
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///t/390038/moon-lights-and-acclimation-time-for-buttons-and-ricordea-yumas#post_3451827
They will do that if something is irritating the Zoa. Look for Zoanthid eating Nudibranchs, Sun Dial Snails after the lights have been off for a few hours.

geoj

I would inspect the colony for zoa eating nudibranch eggs. Remove any eggs with a toothbrush. Where gloves and eye protection and do it in a separate working tub.

Then keep looking out for any signs of the pest after dark and remove and inspect. If you keep that up you will clean them out.