Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wikoogle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Lots of gamers have shown very little interest in the Xperia Play. I anticipate there will be a new version next year as there is with every other smartphone, and I see three basic things that Sony Ericsson can do to make the Xperia Play 2 far more appealing for gamers...

1. Replace the touch panel with actual dual analog nubs. We gamers dislike smartphone gaming precisely BECAUSE we don't want to have to use touchscreens to control movement and aim. We want our fingers to actually interact with the controls and get some feedback in return.

2. Stick a quad core A9 cpu + a SGX543MP4+ gpu + 960x540 resolution screen in the phone and release digital copies of Uncharted NGP, Little Big Planet NGP and Resistance/Killzone NGP on it.

3. Make it look like this...

Vui3K.png

or atleast this...

nSuOD.jpg

The idea of a trackpad in place of analog nubs seems like a missing the point. I thought the point of buttons was because virtual buttons on a flat surface was obnoxious.

From a business standpoint, this makes a lot of sense.

For Sony...

Entering the smartphone market is EXTREMELY lucrative. The most Sony can charge for the PSP2 is $299. Apple gets $700 from AT&T for every phone that consumers buy from them for $200. Imagine how much tech Sony can pack into the PSP Phone and still rake in a massive profit with prices like that. In addition, the PSP Phone is more likely to sell to casual gamers that might not be interested in a big bulky PSP2. So there's a lot of money to be made selling games to these customers that Sony normally can't reach.

For Consumers...

Lots of people prefer all in one devices. I only have so much room in my pocket. Between my keys, wallet, cell phone, camera etc, there really isn't any room for another portable device. This is why I rarely have my DS or PSP with me when I'm out of the house, where as I always have my iPhone with me, and do my outdoor gaming on that, out of neccesity.

Also, consumers can get a better deal thanks to subsidies. I'm not looking forward to plopping down $300 on a PSP2, and when I do, I'm going to have to justify that purchase to my wife. But buying a cellphone every 1.5 years is seen as a neccessity. I always sell my old cellphone on ebay for $300, and use that money towards getting my new smartphone, and my wife is always happy about it.

Meanwhile, Sony could well sell their PSPhone for a price of $99, or even for free, and still rake in far more cash than what they can charge for the PSP2. Sony could give away PSPhone's for free, and they would still be getting $400-500 from the cellphone carriers, more than they get for the PSP2. Assuming that the PSP Phone looks like the one in the OP and is just as well thoughtout/designed as the iPhone and is loaded with fantastic games, which would you have an easier time justifying to yourself? Buying a $300 PSP2, or getting a PSPPhone for free or for $99 when your contract runs out.

Last edited by a moderator:

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I already have an Xperia X8, so I probably wouldn't want or need one anyway.

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
They would need to make it out of solid gold and send 2 naked women to hand deliver it, free of charge, and even then I don`t think I`d want another SE phone. (I`ve owned a few and they`ve been getting worse as time goes on, the U1/Satio got thrown across the room somany times.
You can make a phone that`s good to play on (iPhone/HTC etc) without it being the whole point of the phone. (N-Gage anyone?).

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I agree 100% with the OP.

Hardware is easily upgradeable per year anyway. Real dual-analog sticks, dual or quad core, and thinner/sleeker will happen over time. This is just the first Xperia Play and only a building block of things to come. You can't expect it to be the best. I would love to see the next Nexus phone have the form factor of Xperia Play. Luckily, I hear the Verizon-version is a vanilla-form of Gingerbread with no customizations, but I still find the specs underwhelming.

What SE needs to do is build the gaming content and ecosystem for it and make it exclusive to Android. Get PlayStation games out there and have a huge headstart over Microsoft or Nintendo. Google needs to improve Android. And Sony needs to market it like crazy. Apple relies on HYPE, so I want Sony to go with a strong marketing campaign.

There is already a sea of sameness with the slate designs, gimmicky interfaces, and fancy animation transitions that will get boring after awhile. iPhone won't be under the limelight forever just like what happened to the RAZR or Sidekick. We all move onto the next big thing. iPhone lost its cool factor once grandma and 10-year girls own one now. After owning several iPhones, we all look back and see we upgraded another two years just for a couple new features.

At least Xperia Play is offering something different over the same slabs to add to our collection. The thumb commercials were creepy, but the ones with Kristen Schaal are pretty funny.

What I want the next PlayStation Certified phone to have -

- Be a Nexus phone

- Ice Cream firmware (vanilla flavor) w/ some Honeycomb elements

- Slimmer and sexier

- Real dual analogs

- 16 or 32 GB storage and expandable

- Tegra 2 or 3 (Kal-El)

- Longer-lasting battery life

The next Xperia Play has plenty of potential with more horsepower and better software.

redtape

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
For me it's mainly the hardware. I haven't seen a single Android/Winmo/Symbian/Maemo/Bada-phone that has the same build quality as the iphone. The iPhone has a special feel and heft to it.

My galaxy s is a complete plastic orgie. I have looked at a couple of xperias and they all demonstrate the kind of kirfiness I hate about low end smart phones. The buttons seems flimsy, the fake chrome details, the sound porly made plastic makes if you contourt it the slightest....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.