Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2014
Taking it into the store soon...but thought you might like to see what dust on the sensor looks like (as opposed to dust visible inside the lens...)
FYI it's on the wider angle sensor - so the top one when holding the camera in portrait mode.
Also, the outside of the lens is definitely spotless...
iphone x sensor dust.jpg

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Taking it into the store soon...but thought you might like to see what dust on the sensor looks like (as opposed to dust visible inside the lens...)
FYI it's on the wider angle sensor - so the top one when holding the camera in portrait mode.
View attachment 756606
Doesn’t surprise me. Between me and my girlfriend we got 3 iPhone x’s with dust under the lens. I guess Apple can’t keep there work area clean and debris free.

ronno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2014
Wow 3? Mine had no dust until recently. And as I said, it’s on the sensor, not under the lens. Sensor is harder to get to.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
View attachment 756606

If you bring Your iPhone into the store, Apple now has the capability to disassemble the iPhone, and clean near the camera lens cover area from dust or debris.

Reactions: Btyroler

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
My new one doesnt have any dust issues. Calling issues and Face ID is ****. But it’s been **** on all of the ones I have had.
My new replacement has dust I the lens and loose vibrate switch and the senior advisor told me go to the store we won’t replace it here for you

Attachments

• 4D9045FD-3557-48A5-B8E4-9F0D2BA0254C.jpeg
    4D9045FD-3557-48A5-B8E4-9F0D2BA0254C.jpeg
    341.6 KB · Views: 536

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
My new replacement has dust I the lens and loose vibrate switch and the senior advisor told me go to the store we won’t replace it here for you
Call them again til you get someone with some brains. That’s what I do. Sometimes you have to get rude with them. Just tell them if I wanted a pos I would of bought a $50 from Walmart note $1000 one.
[doublepost=1522964745][/doublepost]
It’s ******** they can’t keep there areas clean. The last 3 iPhones I pulled out of the box looks just like that. Dust everywhere. Apple really is imo a terrible company. Seems like there “new phones” either have dust under the lens. Scratches or missing paint. It’s like if you can’t make something decent then quit making products. I’ve had a lot of other electronics including phones made by other manufacturers and never had dust under the lens or scratches or anything like that. Not even once.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
Call them again til you get someone with some brains. That’s what I do. Sometimes you have to get rude with them. Just tell them if I wanted a pos I would of bought a $50 from Walmart note $1000 one.
[doublepost=1522964745][/doublepost]
It’s ******** they can’t keep there areas clean. The last 3 iPhones I pulled out of the box looks just like that. Dust everywhere. Apple really is imo a terrible company. Seems like there “new phones” either have dust under the lens. Scratches or missing paint. It’s like if you can’t make something decent then quit making products. I’ve had a lot of other electronics including phones made by other manufacturers and never had dust under the lens or scratches or anything like that. Not even once.

I been through 4 replacements all faulty

1st one dust in lens

2 loose screen and dust in lens

3 wirelsss Charging not working

4 dust in lens

Apple is horrible with iPhone X

Reactions: Brandonjr36

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I been through 4 replacements all faulty

1st one dust in lens

2 loose screen and dust in lens

3 wirelsss Charging not working

4 dust in lens

Apple is horrible with iPhone X

I would say you’re an exception though, because you have a history of returning your iPhones for non-issues. I’m not saying all your iPhones have not been defective, but you consistently look for problems with all your devices.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
I would say you’re an exception though, because you have a history of returning your iPhones for non-issues. I’m not saying all your iPhones have not been defective, but you consistently look for problems with all your devices.

There defective that’s why I took them to store /did eres replacement last option they gave me go to store

ronno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2014
UPDATE: Took it to a store in the Bay Area.
They told me they were going to replace the camera...which I had doubts about. Anyway they tried. Over an hour later I asked if it was ready and was told that the tech had broken the screen during the repair and they would replace that "for free" but needed another 20 minutes to run the calibration on it.
25 min later I inquired again and a tech came out with a new/replacement phone.
They had apparently screwed mine up beyond repair.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
They told me they were going to replace the camera...which I had doubts about. Anyway they tried. Over an hour later I asked if it was ready and was told that the tech had broken the screen during the repair and they would replace that "for free" but needed another 20 minutes to run the calibration on it.
So you mean I can get mine fixed also

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

That is why I dislike getting it repaired, you never know the skill of the person who is in the back of the Apple store. I also do not like Apple iPhone refurbs as you never know if it is was reassembled as good as the factory does it.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
I did that with my iPad Pro 9.7 replacements at the end they gave me a new iPad Pro 10.5 that’s on replacement one they suggest I go to store and my case is open with her
Yeah I’m on the phone now because my new replacement has dust under the lens once again. The woman asked if it messed with the functionality of the camera I told her I didn’t know and I dont care. I don’t want it. I’m on hold now.
[doublepost=1523035288][/doublepost]
That is why I dislike getting it repaired, you never know the skill of the person who is in the back of the Apple store. I also do not like Apple iPhone refurbs as you never know if it is was reassembled as good as the factory does it.
Apple is trash period. I have had 1 with big chunk of glue taken out that was my first brand new unit. Girlfriends had dust under the lens was also brand new. Got two new ones they was ok til my speaker went out. And about 2 months later hers would not connect to cellular. She got a new one hers was ok. Still her current one. My “new one had dust under the lens got another one. Worked til I couldn’t receive calls and froze up all the time. Now I received another one today with dust under the lens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.